CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

REACH stands for Raising Education Attainment Challenge. The REACH Program at the Cornell Public Service Center is a student initiative consisting of Team Leaders, America Reads/Counts Challenge tutors (ARCC), and volunteer tutors committed to supporting community organizations and schools serving children’s academic and social needs.

The purpose of the program is to recruit and mobilize a diverse, talented group of tutors so that they may have the necessary resources, peer support, and leadership to assist in the enhancement of academic achievement of children and youth in grades pre-K-12th.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

A tutor's perspective...

Hello, good day, and welcome. Now that the formalities are out of the way, what’s up? I’m fine thank you, even more so because of my latest revelation. REACH is unlike any other organization on campus, and I’ll tell you why.

On a typical day going to my site I often find myself staring out of the window of the van, wondering if what we’re doing really makes a difference. Do these kids even care, and even more important than that, are they learning? But, how does one judge that?

I started tutoring elementary school students last semester, so I wouldn’t say that I’m the most experienced but I can say that the experience that I have now is, priceless. Those kids appreciate all that we do, and we appreciate them. Last week, this girl asked me if one of the other tutors and I have “a connection.” We laughed and tried to change the subject, but she persisted. And, I realized that we do have a connection. We and a few select others are a connected group of individuals trying to help children in this area achieve. Someone helped us so why not help them? Worried about the time commitment? Make time. Worried about getting to your site? We provide transportation. No experience tutoring? What better experience than hands on? Your worries will always be there but this opportunity won’t.

Earlier I asked how do you judge if these kids care and if we’re actually making a difference. On my last visit a little boy ran up to me, hugged me, and said “can you please help me with my homework?” I guess that I’ll have to think about something else during those van rides. But, please join REACH, and reach to make a difference. Pun intended.

-Jayson

No comments: