CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

REACH stands for Raising Education Attainment Challenge. The REACH Program at the Cornell Public Service Center is a student initiative consisting of Team Leaders, America Reads/Counts Challenge tutors (ARCC), and volunteer tutors committed to supporting community organizations and schools serving children’s academic and social needs.

The purpose of the program is to recruit and mobilize a diverse, talented group of tutors so that they may have the necessary resources, peer support, and leadership to assist in the enhancement of academic achievement of children and youth in grades pre-K-12th.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Life at GIAC - Alicia Wiprovnick (GIAC Youth)

Hi, out there to those reading this! I’m Alicia and I’m a team leader at GIAC. I’ve been working at GIAC for about a year and a half now, and I’ve really enjoyed getting to know all of the kids there. It’s really rewarding to make relationships with some of the kids; I feel like I’m making an impact on their lives when they look forward to seeing me. There are kids that comment when I’ve been gone for a while, and kids that specifically ask for my help on their homework.

My favorite part about working at GIAC is the little unexpected things that come up that just brighten my day. This can range from noticing someone is improving on their reading skills or becoming more motivated to do their school work, to having a political discussion with a 5th grader. That’s right I had a political discussion with a 5th grader when it was around election time. He must have very liberal parents; he believes that Obama is going to fix every problem ever and that the world would be better if money didn’t exist. He also told me about this website that makes fun of Sarah Palin that he likes to frequent. While he doesn’t quite grasp the intricacies of the political world, it’s really great that he is taking an interest in politics, something that I was definitely not interested in when I was 10 years old.

So basically my point is, working at GIAC is great and the kids are definitely a refreshing change from Cornell Campus life.

Peace out,
Alicia

No comments: